Father of three-year-old blames China’s zero-covid policy for son’s death |  China

Father of three-year-old blames China’s zero-covid policy for son’s death | China

Father of three-year-old blames China’s zero-covid policy for son’s death | China

The father of a three-year-old boy who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the North West China said the strict Covid-19 policy “indirectly killed” her son by delaying treatment.

The boy’s death on Tuesday sparked outrage on social media and is the latest incident to hit China’s strict zero-covid policy.

“I personally think he was killed indirectly,” the boy’s father, Tuo Shilei, told Reuters by phone from the city of Lanzhou, which has been under siege for several weeks.

Tuo noticed that their son, Wensuan, was unwell after his wife slipped and fell on gas fumes while cooking on Tuesday. Tuo said she tried desperately to call 911 or the police, but was unable to get through.

After about 30 minutes, Wenxuan’s condition worsened, and Tuo said he performed CPR, which helped briefly. He rushed with his son to the entrance of their community compound, which was under heavy cordon. The gate staff wouldn’t let him through, telling him to call the local authorities or an ambulance.

Frantic and no longer waiting for an ambulance, Tuo and her son ran through barriers and locals called a taxi to take them to hospital, where doctors’ efforts to save Wensuan were unsuccessful.

“There was a situation related to Covid at the checkpoint. The staff did not act, then ignored and avoided the problem, and then blocked us at another checkpoint,” Tuo said.

“No help was provided. This series of events caused the death of my child.”

The Lanzhou government and health department, as well as the Gansu provincial government, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

during last month’s Communist Party CongressPresident Xi Jinping has reaffirmed China’s commitment to a zero-Covid policy that has made it a global outlier and led to crippling lockdowns in cities across the country.

Wenxuan’s story started trending on social media after a video of him receiving CPR in the back of a truck went viral, along with comments suggesting he died due to a delay in treatment.

One hashtag, “Three years of Covid was his whole life,” became a trending topic before it was scrubbed, a common occurrence on China’s heavily censored internet.

“A child’s memory will unfortunately be about the masks and nothing else,” wrote one Weibo user.

“Is there any trust left in the authorities?” wrote another user.

A number of cases of people dying because they were unable to get medical care due to Covid restrictions have sparked viral outrage this year, including many A two-month blockade of Shanghai.

Tuo said he was later contacted by a man who said he was a retired local official and offered to arrange for him to be sent 100,000 yuan ($13,000) if he signed a promise not to appear. to the public and not look for the incident.

Tuo said he declined the offer and instead demanded an explanation for his son’s death.

Wensuan’s funeral was held in the family’s nearby hometown of Hezheng on Wednesday morning. Tuo did not show up, fearing he would be quarantined upon arrival.



#Father #threeyearold #blames #Chinas #zerocovid #policy #sons #death #China

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *