How to write a good reflective account for your NVQ
I have often been asked by learners how to write a reflective account? And my answer is that you need to know what a reflective account is before you can write a good one. Many learners have submitted an account to their NVQ assessor and been disappointed to be told they have to re-write it. Let me tell you what might have happened; You probably wrote your account without guidance and therefore no matter how long your account was, you were told that you didn’t meet many of the performance criteria that are what your rater is looking for. So let me tell you what a reflective account is.
A reflective report is usually a description of how you performed a piece of work in the past. It could be yesterday or a week, month or years ago as long as you use the past tense. Maybe how you dealt with a health emergency, an abuse situation, or how you used a certain piece of equipment in the past.
Your account will be a record of events that actually happened. This should be reflected in your writing style as what you have not done to someone else.
For example: me I did that and then me I did that. it is NO it is acceptable to write i would do this as it does not show that you have done it or have done it.
If possible, write why you took the indicated actions.
For example: When I arrived at Mrs A’s home, I put on my gloves and apron to ensure that I would protect the service user and myself from infection…..
Throughout your account you must maintain privacy by using Mrs A, R or any other alphabet rather than using their actual names or addresses.
Think about a typical working day or a period of days and write a story about how you carried out these activities, using the unit performance criteria in your NVQ as a guide. This may include:
- Assist customers with toilet requirements. (HSC 218a)
- Helping customers with their personal hygiene. (HSC 218bc)
- Preparing food and drinks for customers. (HSC 213abc)
- Helping customers eat and drink. (HSC 214abc)
- Undertaking clinical activities. (HSC 230ab)
- Supporting others to undertake clinical activities. (HSC 361ab)
- Assisting clients with cleaning or other household needs. (HSC 29abc)
- Helping Customers Feel Comfortable (HSC 216ab)
- Providing care for the pressure area. (HSC 217ab)
- Helping clients transition from one position to another (HSC 223ab, HSC 360ab)
- Helping service users to access and use services and facilities (HSC 330abc)
- How you contribute to care planning and review (HSC 328abc)
- Supporting people with specific communication needs (HSC 369abc)
- How to give medicines to individuals (HSC 375ab)
This list is comprehensive and applies to every unit title you have chosen within your NVQ.
There are many other activities that you may have participated in that you should include in your account.
How you did the activities is very important; you will find that you cover a good portion of your compulsory units here. This may include:
- How you interacted with clients and others such as colleagues, relatives and other professionals.
- How you treated people as individuals and showed them respect and dignity.
- How you maintained professional relationships with different people. Did you have to deal with any conflicts, distress, or challenging behavior?
- How did you work as a team?
- How you monitored and maintained health and safety during the various work activities.
- What information you submitted, how it was submitted, and what records you completed.
Note: Your reflective account is expected to meet NVQ standards, usually performance criteria and will sometimes cover some knowledge specifications.
I believe that if you take advantage of all the points I have mentioned, you will be able to create a good NVQ level 2, NVQ level 3 or NVQ level 4 reflective account yourself.
In all our packages: NVQ 2 & NVQ 3 Compulsory and Optional Units, we have included full reflective account examples and a guide on how to write your reflective account. You also have FREE access to our online support center once you purchase any of the packages, if you need more help with writing a reflective account or any other aspect of your NVQ I would advise you to purchase one of our packages suitable for your needs, go here now to make your choice.
#write #good #reflective #account #NVQ